Saturday, February 2, 2013



Beaufort, North Carolina--Clawson's Restaurant

Clawson's 1905 Restaurant
425 Front Street
Beaufort, North Carolina 28516
252.728.2133
www.clawsonsrestaurant.com

Why Clawson's?  Better Than It Might Look (at First)

I must say, the exterior and entrance of this place aren't particularly appealing, nor is it that appealing to be in a back room that looks like a restaurant I'd have found in my undergraduate days.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.)  The place is cavernous and brown, with a kind of overwrought rustic look, and, well, it can seem somewhat uninviting.

But as you've likely heard much of your life as I have mine, "don't judge a book by its cover."  (Hmm.  Wonder what e-books will do to that old adage?  The subject for another blog, I suppose.)

So, don't let the posted beer specials on the windows and door fool you, as they almost did me.

We couldn't score a reservation for eight of us to a local trendy, boutique-y style restaurant, and Clawson's is big enough to accommodate us. We went.  My expectations were very modest.

The server impressed us immediately by asking which group of us was with which group, offering from the first to give us separate checks without our having to ask (or, as it often happens, to beg).  She was attentive, friendly, and appropriately unobtrusive.  The menu is fairly comprehensive, and my husband had the special:  blackened fish over cheese grits, with collards on the side.  Naturally, I took several bites (I confess to gulping down most of the collards), and the meal was delicious.

I took what I thought would be a risk and had the crab cakes.  Risk?  No.  They were full of crab--what little filler there was was unnoticeable--and absolutely delicious.  I also chose the brocolli salad on the side, which was also very nice. Our son had the Monterey Chicken, which looked terrific.  Other folks had the quesadillas (a huge portion, which our friend noted was excellent); the cobb salad (huge, nicely cooked and moist chicken atop); and pasta with shrimp and scallops.

Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert (and when we're back, I'll have "Death by Chocolate").  But Clawson's was quite good--I admit, it was a surprise--and, unlike other places in town, more moderately priced.  A good bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment